Wednesday, October 9, 2019

"Audio/Video Podcast: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners."







What is a podcast?
Before diving into a discertation, let’s look at the word “podcast” itself. First mentioned by Ben Hammersley in a 2004 Guardian newspaper article in which he rattled off possible names for this booming new medium, the “pod” of podcast is borrowed from Apple’s “iPod” digital media player; and the “cast” portion of podcast is taken from Radio’s “broadcast” term.  As you may know, just because it’s named after Apple’s iPod, does not necessarily mean that you have to own or use an iPod — or any portable digital media player for that matter — to enjoy a podcast (internationalpodcastday.com).
iPod+Broadcast=Podcast
As I learned in our reading this week, podcasts are digital audio files posted on the internet and pushed to listeners through XML/RSS feeds and are made available via Web sites and podcast directories (King and Cox, p.34).  I have a confession...I am not a podcast listener.  However, the more I research and read about this medium, the more I shake my head that I have not taken advantage of podcast listening!   Did you know that six years ago Apple announced that it had one billion podcast subscribers?  Amazing!  There is even a National Podcast Day that just celebrated its sixth year this past September 30 (internationalpodcastday.com). J
How do podcasts fit in with adult learning?  
Just like blogging, wikis, discussion boards, etc…podcasts have a place in learning.  The use of recorded audio in education has a long history of effectively impacting student learning (King and Cox, p.37).  Let’s take a look at the benefits of podcasts, and touch on a couple of pitfalls:
Pros:
·       The success of podcasting is due, in part, to the convenience and pervasiveness of the modern smartphone.  Think about it, people today are constantly on the go—but almost never without their cell phones. And thanks to music and radio streaming services, people have easy access to a wide range of podcasts to listen to during their commutes, car rides, gym sessions, and even during work. (Zoominfo.com)  Some might say that podcasts act like an audio Netflix.
·        Reach!  Anyone on the internet has access to podcasts, whether one is looking for a class lecture, or perusing iTunes University for a particular subject.  Podcasts are easy to get to and are useful for all ages.
·        Podcast assignments require students to think critically, plan and organize content, and demonstrate their mastery of an area of study or subject.
·        Completed student podcast assignments provide instruction and real-life examples for future classes and learners.
·        One of the most significant advantages to an adult distance education program from the use of podcasting is the ability to use interviews and discussions with external or internal experts in order to teach and inform the adult learners who might not find time for face-to-face education (Roy and Roy, 2007).
Cons:
·         A major drawback to podcasts in higher education arise when podcasting are made synonymous with lecture webcasting (King and Cox, p.37).   This becomes useful for students when content is edited for consumption (condensed).
·         One area that needs to be highlighted are the rules surrounding copyright, patent, and intellectual property laws covering podcast components to include songs, sound effects, etc.  It will be important for instructors to set clear guidelines for the do’s and don’ts of podcast assignments.  Without good guidance, a podcast assignment may lead to legal troubles for student/school/podcaster.
One thing is clear to me from this blog assignment…I will be investigating podcasts for both my work/school enrichment and for areas of interest!  Please feel free to give me feedback and share your favorite podcasts! :-)

References:


King, K.P. and Cox T.D., (2011). The Professor’s Guide to Taming Technology. Charlotte, NC: INFORMATION AGE PUBLISHING, INC.

Roy, A.K. and Roy, P.A. Intersection of training and podcasting in adult education. Australian Journal of Adult Learning Volume 47, Number 3, November 2007.

Image reference:
Snibbe, Kurt. Orange County Register. How podcasts compare to other forms of media. August 24, 2017.

4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I agree that podcasts are convenient and easily accessible. Other than NPR news while I am getting ready and Ted Talks, I don't listen to podcasts as much as I used to with my dad. A friend of mine enjoys crime podcasts, my husband listens to scary stories as podcasts (it's called the No Sleep Podcast...too creepy for me!), and my sister listens to motivational podcasts. There is so much variety!

    I like your reference to an "audio Netflix" - I agree completely! This brings me back to books on tape as a kid - I couldn't stop listening! As an adult, I need the material to be pretty upbeat to hold my interest for long. I think that podcast length varies depending on the source, but keeping it under 20-30 minutes would probably be best.

    Great post!
    Anaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Anaka! I will be looking into Ted Talks, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...I really enjoyed your blog; loved your fun facts at the beginning and the variety of the information overall. The point that resonated with me the most was your second point about podcasts being used to enable critical thinking, organization, and mastery of a subject. I teach a course in critical thinking, and I totally agree that podcasts can get folks to think carefully about what they're broadcasting, since it is going out to the public.

    I also really liked your last point about podcasts being a great tool for folks to be able to tap into expertise without having to worry about the time factor. That resonates with me because I like the idea as well of having the ability to reach out to experts through student-conducted interviews. Cox and King touch on this topic as well and I think it's great because the podcast (unlike a guest lecture in the classroom) can be recorded, archived, and used later by anyone.

    King, K. & Cox, T. (2011). The professor’s guide to taming technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing. ISBN: 9781617353338 e-book ISBN: 9781617353352

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to add...
    some of my favorite podcasts are 'invisibilia' by NPR, 'Every little thing' by Gimlet (if you like trivia), and 'In the Dark' (if you like mysteries).

    Jared

    ReplyDelete

"Audio/Video Podcast: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners."

Podcasting might be thought of as a form of academic gift . -- Les Back What is a podcast? Before diving into a discertati...